Happiness is a state of mind.
Do you believe that?
I can't seem to escape it. It's in the news, on the radio, it inundates social media, magazine covers and small talk. According to many, 2016 has been the worst year ever. EVER! According to the same many, magically it seems, on January 1, 2017, 12:01AM that all gets washed away. We get to start all over with a clean slate.
I understand that every year comes with it's challenges, that's life, right? And it seems 2016 was no different. 2016 seemed plagued. It took many great and notable people, there was this election, pipeline wars, world unrest is rampant, I could go on and on but we all just lived it, no sense in rehashing it all. It was a bit of a bitch.
Despite all the craziness, I urge everyone to explore all that they have to be grateful for. Every day is a new opportunity to be happy and to turn things around. Why wait till the beginning of the year or even tomorrow. No time like the present, as they say. I have forever been puzzled this time of year with the resolutions, promises and expectations. It's almost as though we are setting ourselves up. I understand that these things work for some but I would say that for most it's not the healthiest angle. So, whether you're setting weight loss goals, happiness benchmarks, business plans or anything else, maybe consider that today is the day. Make it happen. Don't wait until the calendar says a certain date or the clock hits a magic number.
Some shit certainly hit the fan this past year and I empathize with those that may have struggled or continue to. Life is no cake walk, but it is what we make of it. We are all strong, strong enough to rise above and I believe, with ever fiber of my being, that we are capable of creating our own happiness. Even amidst the chaos your light will always shine brighter than the darkness. Believe in your ability to be the change you wish to see.
Personally, 2016 was a bit of a rollercoaster but when I travel back and recall memories of the past year the happy stuff is all I see. Here are some highlights:
- I became a yoga teacher, a "job" I absolutely love. It challenges me, pushes me and everyday leads me closer to home.
- Me and my family have enjoyed good health.
- One of my oldest friends gave birth to her first, a beautiful and healthy baby boy.
- Another dear friend beat cancer like a goddamn superhero.
- The City of Fredericksburg granted me permission to keep a miniature horse at my home. Still waiting for the husband to grant me permission to follow through.
- I laughed so much I almost have defined abs. I cried so much that it made the laughs even sweeter.
- Sturgill Simpson got nominated for a Grammy.
- I've watched friends and family reach personal and professional goals that far exceeded their wildest dreams.
Happiness is a state of mind. Life isn't about what happens to you but how you choose to react to those things that do happen. I know that sometimes this is easier said than done but believe in yourself, work hard, set goals and trust the process. 2017 may be the best year to come (here's hoping) but give 2016 a break, it's just a number.
Here's to 2017 and all of the possibility it brings with it! Wishing you health, happiness, all your wildest dreams and most of all, belief in yourself.
Happy New Year!